“bhujanga” = cobra
“niralamba” = unsupported
Unsupported Cobra Pose
“salamba” = supported
Supported Cobra Pose
Also known as: Sphinx Pose
“salabha” = locust
Heart of Poses
- These backbends are accessible with widely useful benefits.
- These poses are beneficial for strengthening spinal muscles and preparing for other backbends such as Ustrasana(Camel Pose), Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose) and Urdhva Dhanurasana (Wheel / Upward-Facing Bow Pose).
- When practicing versions of Salabhasanathat include shoulder extension, the pose also helps to prepare for Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand).
- These poses offer more strength-building than some backbends because there isn’t a linking of upper and lower body to gain leverage.
- These poses tend to appear easier than they are. New students need instruction in subtleties including moving their focus from the lumbar spine to the entire length of the spine.
- See Cautions regarding low back and straining.