For some teachers and students, hands-on adjustments are central to their practice. And for others, it is a major component or a welcome addition.
In all forms of assisting (physical, verbal and energetic), a fundamental consideration is to clarify WHY you might assist a student. Some reasons teachers have for assisting a student include:
- Remove student from an unsafe position due to poor alignment, excessive forcing, or other factors that might lead to injury.
- Give information about alignment of pose.
- Give information about the stabilization in the pose.
- Give information about energy of pose.
- Increase student’s awareness of her body or breath.
- Provide alternative ways of experiencing the pose.
- Provide encouragement.
- Respond to a student who is asking for clarification or guidance.
- Give student a “feel good adjustment” that helps to release tension.