Think About the Students: Inviting Inspiration
Whether teaching beginners, cancer survivors or a studio class where you’ve never met the students, think through common challenges for the students you expect to see. Some considerations include:
- The location (e.g. studio, gym, community center, hospital, trauma center, etc.)
- Expected experience level of students
- Day and time of class
- Seasonal effects
- Holidays & observances
If we know the students more directly (or once in class with them):
- Note posture, energy level, strength, stamina, flexibility, & risks.
- Plan to meet students where they are.
- Endeavor to release any preconceptions about students and classes. Instead, observe and move ahead mindfully. Avoid jumping ahead to a previous plan at the expense of sthira & sukham (steadiness & ease).