Sequencing: Building & Choosing Sequences: Beginners: Sequencing
As always, when building and choosing sequences, follow sequencing principles and guidelines:
- Sequencing Fundamental & Guidelines – Review the most fundamental principles of having a clear objective, moving from simple to complex, building mindfully and gradually, etc.
- Sequence to Balance Energy – Consider how yoga affects energy and use knowledge of practice effects to build energetic balance.
- Choosing & Arranging Poses – Go deeper into topics such as choosing poses to move the spine in each of its six directions, moving joints through their full range of motion, and preparing for a peak pose.
Scaffolding: Build from a Basic Template
- When teaching a beginner series, it’s advised to be consistent with your sequence and/or poses. That is, use a sequence template which is repeated and progressively built upon.
- While you will want to reinforce what has been taught in previous classes, you may also wish to add a new teaching focus or emphasis each week.
- You can (and should) always adapt what you choose to teach based on students’ proficiency.
- Known as “scaffolding,” this building process gives students the benefits of developing their skills through repetition and progressively growing.