- From an Ayurveda perspective, digestive health is the basis for all else.
- “It’s not what you eat, it’s what you digest” that’s important. (Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar)
- Ayurveda describes digestion as a sacred fire, or agni. This fire is said to transmute food into energy for the body, mind and spirit. Thus, the condition of this fire is central to our health on all levels.
- Types of foods, time of eating, portions and respect for particular body type and body constitution are all of prime consideration.
- “Ama is residual digestive impurities, that can make you feel dull , heavy, sluggish and groggy at times. By restarting the digestive fire we can get rid of these accumulated digestive impurities.” (Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar)
Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar recommends, next time you sit down to eat, follow these simple steps to stoke your digestive fire:
- Take a few seconds to become aware of your digestive fire. Assess the level of hunger. Can you feel your digestive fire blazing? Can you sense that the digestive fire is ready to accept your offering of food?
- Look at the food you are offering. Is it pleasing? Is it also wholesome? Will it leave you feeling satisfied, light and energetic?
- Are you in a quiet and reverential state of mind, undistracted, focused on the amazing, alchemical act of nourishing yourself?
- Pause for a moment to center yourself in this awareness. Take a deep breath and enjoy.
— Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar