Skip to content
- Acid reflux may also be called acid indigestion.
- Heartburn is a burning feeling in the chest caused by acid reflux — stomach acid traveling up towards the throat. If it persists, it is known as gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter is weak or relaxes inappropriately, allowing the stomach’s contents to flow back up.” (Yoga RX)
- Symptoms of acid reflux include burning sensation in the chest, sour taste in the mouth, persistent cough or hiccups, a hoarse voice, bad breath and bloating.
- Symptoms often worsen after eating, when lying down and when bending over.