Skip to content
- Ulcerative colitis is a long-term condition, where the colon and rectum become inflamed.
- Symptoms include recurring diarrhea (which may contain blood, mucus or pus), abdominal pain, frequent need to empty bowels, fatigue, loss of appetite and weight loss.
- Symptoms may be mild or in remission followed by flare-ups. During flare-ups, additional symptoms may occur such as painful joints, mouth ulcers and eye irritation.
- Ulcerative colitis is thought to be an autoimmune condition. (NHS.uk)
- Read more: living with ulcerative colitis.