Strengthen with Standing Poses: Yoga Practices for Pregnancy / Prenatal Student
Use standing poses to:
- Strengthen legs.
- Increase circulation to combat swelling of feet and ankles.
- Build courage and confidence.
Preparation for Birth: Strength & Stamina
For many people, labor takes place in standing and squatting positions during contractions. Prenatal yoga classes offer many poses that focus on legs and glutes to help strengthen these key areas that support us during labor. Labor can be like a marathon. You don’t simply sign up for a marathon and run the next day, right? Yoga is that training that helps to prepare you. Yoga teaches us the power and strength inherent in our own bodies, energy we no doubt want to tap into at the height of labor! – Megan Sloan
Sample Standing Poses
- Utkatasana (Chair / Fierce Pose)
- Virabhadrasana I (Warrior 1 Pose)
- Virabhadrasana II (Warrior 2 Pose)
- Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose)
- Utthita Parsvakonasana (Extended Side Angle Pose)
- Asana Category: Standing Poses
Sample Standing Balance Poses
Practice near a wall or chair.
- Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
- Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose)
- Virabhadrasana III (Warrior 3 Pose)
- Asana Category: Balancing Poses
Virabhadrasana I Variation at Wall
Utthita Trikonasana at Wall
Vrksasana at Wall