Release the Psoas: Yoga Practices for Pregnancy / Prenatal Students
- Release tension in the psoas, which can lead to low back pain, hip discomfort and sacroiliac (SI) joint issues.
- During pregnancy, the pelvis tilts forward, the abdominals stretch, and the psoas shortens and tightens.
- Pelvic Tilt
- Virabhadrasana I (Warrior 1 Pose) – See How to Stretch & Strengthen the Psoas for instructions on practicing in doorway
- Knee Side Plank
- Anjaneyasana (Low Lunge Pose) – this may or may not feel comfortable for pregnant students; avoid overstretching
- Utthan Pristhasana (Lizard Pose) – this may or may not feel comfortable for pregnant students; avoid overstretching
Supported Backbend with Feet Flat
Not Shown: Prop head-side of bolster with block or another bolster cross-wise so torso is at an angle and forehead is higher than chin.
Eka Pada Rajakapotasana with Props