Introduction: The Immune & Lymphatic Systems Introduction
The Immune System Makes Sure All SystemS Work Properly
Strong immunity isn’t just important for fending off viruses like the flu during the winter. If you want to be healthy (and happy) then strengthening the immune system is a must. Why? Because its primary goal is to make sure that all systems in your body work properly. – Vivian Michaels
There is a saying: “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” The point is that we can’t see what’s going on inside others, and therefore we usually don’t know the struggles they are facing. In a similar vein:
- The immune system is invisible to the eye. We may not know if someone is in poor health. Even the individual may not realize the state of their immune system until it is severely compromised.
- And yet, although unseen, the immune system powerfully affects the mind, body and spirit.
What It Does
A well-functioning immune system:
- Prevents illness.
- “Promotes healing by fighting off common infections, healing wounds, and scavenging early cancer molecules.” (Baxter Bell)
How It Works
The immune system is designed to maintain your good health. It differentiates between self and other so as to:
- Identify and attack invaders, including viruses, bacteria and parasites.
- Identify and attack foreign bodies such as dirt or slivers.
- Identify and attack cancer cells.