Immune system disorders refer to abnormally low activity or overactivity of the immune system.
- Immune Deficiency — Decreases the body’s ability to fight invaders, causing vulnerability to infections.
- Immune Overactivity —Refers to the body attacking and damaging its own tissues. Known as autoimmune disease.
Autoimmune diseases include:
- Diabetes Type 1 — The immune system attacks and destroys insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) — The immune system attacks (eats away) at the myelin sheath, which protects the nerves in the brain. Learn more: Yoga & Multiple Sclerosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis — The immune system attacks itself. RA is a chronic inflammation affecting joints, hands and feet. Learn more: Yoga & Arthritis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s Syndrome, Celiac Disease — Parts of the digestive system become inflamed. Learn more: Yoga & Digestion
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome — Rare neurological disorder where the immune system attacks the nerves in the body.