Targeting Lymphatic Flow: How Yoga Can Help with Immunity
There are numerous ways to promote lymphatic flow. Here is one sample provided by Christy Fisher, Phinney Ridge Yoga, Mar 7, 2018 newsletter:
- Begin with gentle head rolls or a light self-massage stroking along the sides of the neck toward the collar bones.
- Practice gentle shoulder and chest opening such as sweeping the arms. “If you have lymphedema in one arm, begin with the other healthy arm to allow for optimal drainage.” Repeat 6 times. Switch sides.
- Focus on a full belly breath. Practice a very gentle seated spinal twist, flowing gently with the breath, holding the last twist on each side for several breaths.
- Practice gentle Ardha Apanasana (One Leg Knees to Chest). Gently circle the knee. Switch sides. “If you have lymphedema in one leg begin with the healthy side.”
- Practice an inversion for legs and feet such as Viparita Karani (Legs Up the Wall) or a Supported Inversion with Chair. “Circle your feet and flare your toes to maximize the benefits.”