Back pain may be caused by:
- Congenital (present at birth) conditions such as some types of scoliosis
- Musculoskeletal problems such as injury, SI joint issues or sciatica
- Postural imbalance
- Degenerative disc disease or conditions such as spinal stenosis or spondylolythesis
- Problems with internal organs such as kidney disease
- Chronic pain in which there is no identifiable cause
To go deeper into some topics of particular interest to yoga teachers (such as the effects of sitting, of muscular imbalance, aging, etc., see Going Deeper at the bottom of this page).