Physical practices (often using asana variations) can help with:
- Axial extension – increasing space between the vertebrae and releasing pressure on discs
- Improved mobility and flexibility – releasing tightness and tension in the muscles
- Relaxation of tight hip flexors and hamstrings – helping to realign the pelvis
- Postural realignment
- Increased muscle strength
- Alleviation of muscular imbalances
- Improved circulation
- Relaxation – releasing both physical and psychological tension and enhancing feelings of well-being
- Increased self-awareness – can lead to improvements in posture, movement patterns, re-injury prevention and pain management
Asana styles and adaptations offer nearly limitless variations to address particular needs:
- The use of yoga props such as bolsters, straps, blocks, blankets and chairs can make poses accessible for numerous situations.
- Restorative Yoga can be beneficial for releasing muscular tension and can provide a nourishing and healing experience for anyone suffering from chronic pain.