uttana = intense stretching or extension
Intense Stretching Posture
Also known as: Standing Forward Bend
Half Standing Forward Bend
Also known as: Half Way Lift
Hand to Big Toe Pose
Hand to Foot Pose
Also known as: Gorilla
Baddha Hasta Uttanasana
Bound Hands Intense Stretching Posture
- Uttanasana: hands on floor, block or legs
- Padangusthasana: hold big toes
- Padahastasana: hands under feet
- Ardha Uttanasana is often used as the name for a half-lift and included in Surya Namaskar and other vinyasas.
- However, in some styles, Padangusthasana is the name for a half-lift. In this case, the naming comes from Part I of Padangusthasana from the Iyengar tradition, where toes are clasped, and spine is lengthened forward into a half-lift.