In this lesson, we distinguish chronic pain from acute pain (which involves far more than symptom duration), and provide expert knowledge about the critically important consequences of chronic pain.
Be clear about the distinguishing factors of chronic pain and why it requires a different approach from working with acute pain.
Define acute pain and chronic pain, and clearly explain how they are different. Describe the additional negative effects that can be a result of chronic pain and list common symptoms of chronic pain. Describe potential causes of chronic pain and factors related to pain becoming chronic. Explain how the teaching on suffering vs. pain is relevant for those with chronic pain.
Questions Answered Here
- What is acute pain? Chronic pain? How are they different?
- What additional negative effects can be a result of chronic pain?
- What are some common symptoms of chronic pain?
- Describe potential causes of chronic pain.
- While most chronic pain has its roots in physical injury and illness, what factors are related to pain becoming chronic?
- How is the teaching on suffering vs. pain relevant for those with chronic pain?